Week 23: Persuasion


There are several webpages in which persuading expressions can be found; I have chosen http://howtolearnenglishofexpressing.blogspot.com/2015/01/expressing-of-persuading-someone.html where we can see different ones such as:

* Come on.
* Give it a try.
* Try them on.
* Believe me, you’ll have fun times.
* Don’t be a spoilsport.
* It will be fun, I’m sure.
* You’ll 
enjoy it. Go.
* You won’t regret it.
* This is once in your lifetime, don’t waste it.
* It’s your only chance, try it.
* You wouldn’t find them twice, come on!
* You’ll never feel sorry 
about it.
• Would it be possible for you to …?
• Won’t you …, please?
• Why don’t you …?
• Please!
• Not even for me/for my sake?
• Just this once!
• You’re not going to let me down, are you?
• How I can persuade you to …?
• Could you/couldn’t you be persuaded …? 
 

This all phrases and expressions are used to persuade somebody to do something for you. It is important the way that you say them because it can be both understood as a favour or as an order.

On the other hand, I have copied some sentences from the internet in which a hypothesis is discussed:
*Those steps are dangerous. Suppose someone has an accident.
*We should leave home early in case we are late.
*Drive carefully. You could have an accident.
I have underlined the expressions for hypothesising.

Comentarios