Week 18: Who We Are
There are lots
of body idioms and their meanings are quite interesting; I have chosen some of
them:
o
Get
off my back: We use this expression when someone is criticising you
or telling what to do all the time.
'Stop
telling me what to do. Get off my back!'
o
A
finger in every pie: To have a finger in every pie means that you are involved
in many activities.
`She
has a finger in every pie this week, she does not stop doing things´.
o
Look
down your nose: When you look down your nose at someone you think you
are better or more important than them.
'Because
he's rich he seems to think that he's better than everyone. He really looks
down his nose at people.'
o
Play
it by ear: To play it by ears means to improvise or do something
without preparation.
`I
don't know where we should go tonight. Let's just play it by ear.'
o
Cost
an arm and a leg: When
something costs an arm and a leg it costs a lot of money. It's very expensive.'
'It
cost me an arm and a leg to get my car fixed.'
Links where
inversions are explained: https://www.learn-english-today.com/lessons/lesson_contents/verbs/inversion.html
Finally, as I mentioned before, I am reading books in English so my reading skills are on point for the exam; just kiding, I am doing it because I find pleasure in reading what I like in English. We should all enjoy while learning.

Comentarios
Publicar un comentario